The City of Pharr has a Commission-Manager form of government. Under this form of government, the elected City Commission sets the policies for the operation of the city’s government. The administrative responsibility rests with the City Manager who is appointed by the City Commission. The Pharr City Commission is comprised of seven members made up of the Mayor and six City Commissioners. The current members are:
Correspondence to the Mayor and members of the City Commission should be addressed to:
City of Pharr
P. O. Box 1729
Pharr, TX 78577-1632
You may also contact the Mayor and members of the City Commission via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
City Commission Meetings: Regular Commission meetings are held at 5:00 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of the month. Special Commission meetings may be called from time to time, provided that public notice is posted 72 hours prior to the meeting.
Citizen Participation at Meetings (Ordinance No. O-2010-32)
- All Pharr City Council meetings may include agenda items titled, “PUBLIC HEARING”.
- Those wanting to speak on a subject under the PUBLIC HEARINGS, are asked sign-in with the City Clerk no later than 5:00 pm or the close of business on the business day prior to the scheduled public hearing.
- The Mayor will then call on each speaker to approach the governing body during the portions of the meeting titled “PUBLIC HEARINGS”. In situations where a large number of citizens representing a certain delegation have signed up to speak, the Mayor may ask the group to designate a spokesperson to present the group’s comments to the City Council.
- Visitors shall observe order and decorum, and speak only upon recognition by the Mayor. No person shall neither, by conversation or otherwise, delay or interrupt the proceedings or the peace of the City Council, nor disturb any member while speaking or refuse to obey the orders of the presiding officer. Citizen remarks shall be addressed to the City Council as a whole and not to any member thereof.
- Any person who willfully utters loud, threatening or abusive language, or engages in any disorderly conduct which would impede, disrupt, or disturb the orderly conduct of any meeting, hearing, or other proceeding shall be called to order by the presiding officer to be immediately removed.
- Once the City Council has proceeded to the next agenda item following PUBLIC HEARINGS, no one will be allowed to address the governing body unless asked to do so by the City Council.
- All persons in close proximity to members of the City Council and official meeting areas shall be subject to a search of purses, bags, backpacks, and other items used for carrying personal possessions.
- As a general rule, citizens and visitors may not participate in the discussion of the governing body during workshops or special meetings.
Citizens who have questions about City Council procedures or the public hearing registration form may ask for assistance from the City Clerk, City Manager or other staff members.
Agendas: for the regular meetings and work sessions are posted the preceding week at City Hall and also on the City’s web site. All notices are posted 72 hours prior to the meeting, in accordance with the Chapter 551 of the Government Code, Vernon’s Texas Codes, Annotated (Open Meetings Act). Agendas are posted on the web site as a courtesy and, from time to time, may not be available due to technical difficulties. The official posting site is on the City Council Bulletin Board located on the first floor in City Hall.
Work Sessions: Work sessions are held as needed and public notice is posted 72 hours prior to the meeting. These work sessions are set to discuss City issues, to provide information to the public and the Commission, and usually include briefings and presentations.
Closed Sessions: A closed session may be convened at any time during the course of a regular meeting under Texas Government Code 551.071(2) to confer with its legal counsel on any subject matter of said agenda. Should any final action, decision, or final vote be required in the opinion of the Board with regard to any item discussed during the executive session, then such final action shall be made during the open meeting covered by the notice of the meeting.